Friday, August 11, 2006

The Truth and Nothing But The Truth

I was attempting to write a short post in response to an entry in Beadlust's journal but it quickly grew and grew so I figure I'll post my response in my own journal as a reminder on the topic of personal authenticity and truthfulness. Here goes:

1. What do you think about the concept of personal truthfulness and authenticity in your art work? Is this something for which you consciously strive and plan? If so, how?

While chatting with a jeweler at a show, I revealed that I hoped one day to sell my work, even if it was only here and there on the side. He looked at me seriously and I thought he was going to be annoyed with me for taking up his time or something. Instead he asked the following of me: "My dear, there are 3 types of artists in the world. The talented who are confident in their abilities, showing the world their stuff. The determined who are not there yet but keep working at it. Whether they ever truly get better or not, they never lose sight of the fact that they're doing something they love. And there are the prostitutes. Those who don't care if their work stinks or not, they just want to make a buck. Don't ever be a prostitute."

To be an artist, you have to be true to who you are and what you create, regardless of your medium. It shows in the work you produce, as well as the way you talk about it and the look on your face when you think about it.

I can't say I plan for authenticity and truth or that it's always in the front of my mind... "Be truthful to your self! Be authentic!" It's just a personal belief. If I can't make myself happy with whatever it is, what's the point of making it at all?

2. How is your subconscious truth revealed in your art work?

I don't know if anyone can see it it but I can see it once the piece is completed. In the choices I've made along the way, the little unplanned adjustments here and there that struck me at a specific moment. Even when working from a pattern or basing my work on another that inspired me, my subconcious takes over and even I'm surprised at the end results. =)

3. What is your experience with fear of criticism or self criticism blocking the expression of your personal truth?

This is my biggest fight: criticism and self criticism. Mostly self criticism. I tend to worry that something I've done, though it made me deliriously happy, wont be good enough for others. I have to constantly remind myself that the only person I should try to please is myself. Also that criticism isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on who it's coming from. Is it helpful or just plain mean. I'm forcing myself to take more chances (putting my work out there for others to see) to get over my fear of failure. How can I get better if I dont' take chances?

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Wow! You really gave those questions some thought. I especially like what the jeweler said to you about three types of artists and about not being a prostitute. It could be the meat of a whole article... hmmmm! Yes,that struggle with the internal critics is something, isn't it? Good for you that you're taking more chances! That's great. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this post, and for adding a link on mine.

8/11/2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Robin! Please, if that comment sparked an article, by all means run with it. =)

8/11/2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger The Lone BeaderĀ® said...

I don't fear self-criticism. I use it like a tool.

Also, thanks so much for the link:)

8/13/2006 2:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No problem at all. And as for self-criticism, I may need to pick your brain on how to use it like a tool too.

8/13/2006 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home