Monday, August 14, 2006

Me Into Art, Art Into Me

Thanks Robin for posting yet another great article.

1. Which of the characteristics on Clark’s list seems most important to you? Why?

- "A masterpiece does not aim at art, but at truth." Those things that I create, represent me and the spirit inside me. My desires, my feelings, my personality. To create something that is anything else can be seen for what it is. Lies, vanity, hollow.

2. What is the human element in your current project?

- I'm currently putting the final touches on two shekeres that dear friends asked if I'd make for them. Though they selected the beads and pattern that I've used, there is a lot of me in these as well. Not just the sweat, but my inspiration, thought, determination, and joy. I hope that when they use them, those parts of me will sing out for them.

3. What does spiritual energy mean to you?

- It means the energy of the universe, of the past and present, of every living thing: swirling inside my head to form ideas, flowing out of my fingers to be manifested, and being seen born by my eyes.

4. What are some of life’s great themes? Is there one which is compelling to you at the moment? How could you work with this theme in a future project?

- Life is too short to squander foolishly and "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

I've come to realize over the last few days, that doing what's best for me is terribly important. Taking chances, being honest with my real self, and knowing who matters to me and who doesn't.

Though I'm not exactly sure how to work this directly into a specific project, I am in the midst of working this into motivation for all my upcoming projects.

Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Good job! I'm so glad you worked with the questions, and admire the authenticity of your answers. I believe it's good once in a while to step back from the process of our art to think about what we're doing and why. Did it help or change you in any way? Thanks!

8/15/2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually it did, mainly through timing. Part of the reason I've started this blog is to network with fellow artists; to gain insight and understanding as well as to "force" myself to get my work out there.

Thinking about the questions you've posted gave me pause. Why do I do what I do? Who do I do it for? Will selling my work change the meaning, cheapen the effort? Why don't I just keep this a safe hobby rather than put myself up for ridicule?

The more I thought about your questions and my own, the more I realized that all in all, I'm doing this for me and always will. I make art because it pleases me. I also love making art to see other people smile. Not for the pat on the back, but the honest enjoyment of making happiness.

I'm sure that's not exactly the reponse you had in mind but it's what came out just now as I began to type.

Thank you.

8/15/2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home