Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pay It Forward

I was just reading through a couple of blogs that I like and came across this idea on FiberFish's blog. She found it elsewhere, but I think it's a great idea.

I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

So, if you are interested in receiving a handmade something from me, leave a comment. The first three will receive something...........knitted, beaded, food? Who knows?

This post actually feeds nicely into a discussion I was having with my mom and then again with a friend today. Presents and gifts should be meaningful. Something you want the person to have rather than some item that will be forgotten a day after the wrapper comes off. It can be as simply as a handmade card to your favorite couple saying you'll watch their child one evening so they can finally have a night out to themselves, or as extravagant as buying every movie your loved one's favorite actor/ess ever made and then creating your own movie marathon (don't forget the popcorn!)

In something I was reading recently, there was a challenge to only spend $3.98 (or something like that) on each person and have the receipts to show for it. What makes the challenge a real challenge is that not only can they not spend more than the set amount, they also can't spend less. They have to spend exactly the sum agreed to. I think one person said they bought a beautiful card and a pack of the person's favorite gum to get the right amount.

For years my mother and I made most of our Christmas gifts and all of our cards, spending months and months getting everything together. One year we were so busy we only did bought presents and cards and several family members and friends thought we were mad at them or something until they realized no one received anything handmade that year. LOL!!!

The point is, the old adage that it's the thought that counts is real. I'm hoping to get back to this sentiment this year and all future Christmases with my family. What I'm hoping to convince everyone to do is that we should have a family trip each year, either before or after the holidays, and make the Christmas presents themed to the trip. Maybe a new camera or journal for the trip or something neat from the destination. Whatever the outcome, I just want present giving to be special again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot! I'm first!

Not just because you're promising a gift, but also because I finally have time in front of the computer... I wanted to say welcome back. Welcome back, and I wish you all luck in your new direction. If I didn't enjoy what I do at work I'd be trying to do the same thing.

I hope that you enjoy school and that you become something that makes your soul happy. :)

11/21/2007 10:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey! I'd love to join in on the PIF. :-)

I know what you mean about wanting presents to mean something again. I couldn't agree more.

11/22/2007 9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PIF!
I'd be happy to send you something in exchange! ;)

Actually, just recently, at my best friend's Bday party, while another friend was giving her gift, she said: "Well, it's not as nice as Jewels' present, but it's really nice..."
I was honestly shocked! I know that people appreciate something hand made, and I LOVE giving my handmade gifts. But to be quite honest, I'm not, well, rich... And I've sometimes given my handmade gifts with a touch of "Gee, I wish I could give her something more..."
When I imparted this to my friends, I got a collective "ARE YOU KIDDING?!?" I just never realized just how much my handmade gifts meant to them. It really made me feel like the richest woman alive...

So, yeah, I would love the opportunity to make you something in return. ;)

11/23/2007 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home