Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's Just Like Starting Over

That is one thing that I love about beadwork, it's an art that can be recycled into something even more wonderful and grand. Maybe even more than one thing.

I was going through my box of "fix me's", things that needed repair, things bought to be taken apart and turned into something else, or things that just didn't come out the way I'd hoped. I pulled out a necklace that I'd had high hopes for at the time but the more I looked at it the more I just didn't like it. And that little kink in the wire didn't help matters.




It sat in that box for a year waiting for something to happen to it, and that time was now. I pulled out my trusty snips and... several bags of wonderful NEW beads now sit before me to play with. I wonder what new works will be born from this necklace's ashes?

I mentioned to someone that I recycle my beads and they didn't understand why, beads were so cheap. Not to put places like Michaels and JoAnn's down but all beads don't cost $3-4 a tube. And what's the point of having something lying around collecting dust because it's not being worn when you can turn it into something that will?

This is another piece from my attempt at stringing days (I prefer beadweaving) that lasted until I realized it just wasn't right.

Now I've finally come up with what I want to do to make this one live up to it's original name: "The Coffee Angel Understands".

Snip! Snip! Snip!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, the good 'ole "Frog Stitch"... Rippit! Rippit! I also love the fact that beadwork is 'recyclable'. Every New Years, I take out my box of U.F.O.s and just have a scissor party! LOL!

8/18/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

THAT'S A WONDERFUL IDEA! =) So much better than watching that bag get bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER! A New Years resolution I can definitely keep.

8/18/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Lora_3 said...

I'm laughing. I was in a bead shop and over heard a woman say "beads are cheap". She told the sales person she wanted to make one of those big chunky bracelets. Then I heard her say " That much? Your kidding!" LOL

I agree! If you don't wear it, remake it!

Be safe...

8/19/2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Lora. It never ceases to amaze does it? I'm sure this same woman must spend a fortune on other things.

Have fun!

8/19/2006 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home