Friday, September 08, 2006

Warning: Things May Be More Difficult Than They Appear

I don't like to say I have given my life to art. I prefer to say art has given me my life. -Frank Stella, Contemporary American Painter, b. 1936

I work with a lady who I learned enjoyed beading. When she found out I was a beader as well, she wanted to see my work. I happily brought in a few pieces for her to look at but when she saw what I enjoy doing (predominately beadweaving) she was taken aback. "It's very pretty but why do you do such complicated things? Too much work. You can't wear it all the time. No one would want this." After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I smiled and simply told her that it was the kind of beading that worked for me.

There is just as much a place for the complicated as there is for the simply. Stringing can be very fulling, I know. I've seen dozens of lovely strung necklaces, using some of the most beautiful beads of glass, stone, crystal, and/or metal. I've even strung a few necklaces myself, but it's not what fuels my passion. For me it is beadweaving. I love both the mental challenge as well as the resulting beauty. One of my favorite techniques is beaded crochet. Whether it's a solid colored rope or an undulating series of multiple colors and bead sizes holds magic for me.

Those techniques that construct 3D forms make my eyes light up. The first fully constructed piece I ever made was when I took the Granuaile's Crown workshop with Cynthia Rutledge. Though it took sometime to finish (darn day job), I was excited as well as curious about what else I could make. I've examined the gorgeous and creative constructions of such talented artists as Valerie Hector and David Chatt and am trying to learn as much as I can so that I can create the images in my head.

There have been times when I've wondered if maybe the type of beadwork I like is in fact too much, that no one will get it or like it. Those thoughts have been banished as I've been reminded by recent posts of Diane and Robin, as well as so many other wonder artistics souls I've come to know while blogging, that I'm creating to please me, that's all that matters... AND I LOVE DOING WHAT I DO!

8 Comments:

Blogger magKNITficent said...

Your stuff is gorgeous! don't let anyone tell you how to do your work.

9/08/2006 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never stop doing what you love.

~Diana

9/09/2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Marty52 said...

Wow... what a downer... follow your heart my dear. Do what you love.

9/14/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you all. =)

That spark of excitement for creating has been lit and I'm off and running. With all of your inspiration, I've been able to let slide comments on either my work being to hard or too easy (a recent comment). I'm looking at my work with new eyes.

9/14/2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

I have watched you grow over the years trying to find what was right for you from sculpting, kaleidoscopes, doll making and now your jewelry. I applaud your passion and encourage you to keep with it. Oh...also, Mom's get one of everything you make.

Love Mom

9/14/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mom, where do you think I get my desire to create from in the first place? =)

And yes I wont forget, as well as that you want earrings with everything!

9/15/2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, that lady's comment made me a little bit upset when I first read it, but then, I guess we have to understand where she's coming from. She strings, and that's what gets HER juices flowing. But to sit there, and knock your work? You're nice than me, 'cause I'd probably have said something along the lines of "Well, after graduating from stringing, I just wanted to learn as much as I could about the Art of beading..."

I'm amazed and inspired by all the wonderful bead artists out there who continually push the boundaries! (Awesome job on that crocheted rope BTW!)

LOL! @ Mom's comment about getting one of everything: My Mom does too!!! LOL!!! ;) Aren't mom's the best?

9/15/2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jewels! Trust me, I so wanted to tell her where to go. *shakes head*

It's those pushed boundaries that helped show me beading could be more than grandma's plastic pearls. I'd always ignored it in the past.

Yes, moms are the best... and all alike! LOL

9/19/2006 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home