Friday, October 06, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

Hello Secrete Pal!

Here is my questionnaire for Secret Pal 9:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
- I've not tried them all so I can't say what my favorite is just yet. =) As for what I absolutely do not like, 100% acrylic because it itches. Blends are ok because they usually result in some fun and funky combinations.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
- Uhm... a large plastic baggie. =(

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
- This is sort of a tricky question. I learned how to knit around 10 years or so ago or so but... it went into unused limbo for 8 of those. I started up again in ernest with the One Skein Swap and am loving every minute of it.

I learned to knit totally by accident really. I was running around with my mom looking for yarn shops that sold yarn for weavers. We entered a shop somewhere in Eastern PA (converted old house) and the owner was really a trip. She and my mom got onto the subject of adding knitting to trim or combine with her weaving and the next thing we knew, she sat my mom down and handed her some pointy sticks to teach her the basic knit and purls stitches. She then looked up at me and said, "Well don't just stand there, take a seat." Next thing we both knew, she'd taught us to knit and purl a few rows on a little swatch, helped us pick out a simple pouch pattern, and the needles and yarn for it, and sent us on our unsuspecting yet merry way. Mom stayed with it for the most part, discovering the fun of socks, I let it slide when beads entered my life.

Skill wise, I'd call myself an advanced beginner because though I've done plenty of lace and such, I've not YET tried socks, changing colors, or cabling. Or finished a sweater for that matter.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
- I made one just for this project: Knitting Wish List.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
- I'm not a fan of strong floral scents. I like honeys, lemons, cucumbers, gingers, chocolate, and edible things like that. I can sometimes find Demeter Fragrances, but the site that gets me in the most trouble is BPAL or Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Those dang little imps! Beware, once you start experimenting, your money is in serious trouble.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
- I have more of a salt tooth than a sweet tooth but when it hits, chocolates and caramels are my top two favorites. I love most kinds except the cheap stuff. It just tastes... cheap.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
- Beadwork is currently my #1 love just over knitting. I spin some and am "trying" to learn how to use my drop spindle. I've done all sorts of things in the past like mail art, figure sculpting, porcelain dolls, and a slew of other things I can't remember at the moment.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
- I like just about everything except country and rap. I enjoy just about everything else, including the genres that don't end up on the radio unless it's an obscure station or satellite(acapella, big band, etc...) I'm always interested in discovering new artists and have found all sorts of wonderful indie singers/groups that really knock my socks off such as Four Shadow and 4 and 20 Blackbirds. Yes, I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
- I can't think of any color I really don't like. What I don't like, can't stand, however you want to say it is horrid color combinations! Some colors were just never meant to be together. Hot pink and olive green? Run away! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
- Married, no kids or pets.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
- All of them.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
- Once again, I don't know just yet but at the moment I guess it would be purses/totes. Socks are my next thing to tackle and I keep getting told that I'll be hooked once I make my first pair. We'll see.

13. What are you knitting right now?
- Two things at the immediate moment. A tote for my partner in the International Tote Exchange II, and a hooded baby blanket in... BUBBLE GUM PINK for my husband's niece. She's due soon so I'd better get a move on.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
- Oh yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
- I like them both as they each serve their own purposes. Bamboo and wood are my favorite in material. The sound of knitting with aluminum makes my teeth hurt. My circular kit is done in plastic. It has its issues (stiff) but they work well.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
- I do own a yarn winder but not a swift. I currently use the back of a chair, my knees or my husband for that. LOL!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
- Uhm... when did I say I started knitting again? The first, and only, sweater I ever tried to make was out of Vogue Knitting magazine. I made all the pieces for it but didn't know what to do when it came time to put it together. I don't even know if I have the cone of yarn now to finally put it together so I'll probably just pull it out and make something else with it.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
- Halloween. Favorite holiday as well as my wedding anniversary.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
- Disney pins, cookbooks, and autographs. Can I count beads and yarn too?

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
- Books, see my Amazon wish list above. When it comes to yarns, just surprise me! For needles, I should probably get some nicer circulars though I'm not sure which as I hear different reviews. I'll have to peak around for knitting patterns and post them. Most I've found I've gotten out of magazines or free online. I don't have any knitting magazine subscriptions at this time. I pick up Knit.1, Vogue Knitting, Interweave Knits, and now Knitscene.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
- Cables (that thing goes where?), color knitting (you want me to change colors?), and continental knitting (but I like throwing my yarn!)

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
- I'm about to become one. I've never tried but I just joined Scout's Indie Swag club where I get sock yarn each month so I'm going to definitely try. I'm a size 10. Measurements: 10" from heel to top of my big toe, 3 3/4" across at the ball of my foot. What else do you need?

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
- April 15th

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

# 21. When you say Continental knitting, do you mean how the Europeean just slide the yarn over the needle, as opposed to the 'Brittish' way, where you make a huge loop with your 'knitting' hand over the needle? Yeah, I'm a 'Continental' girl! LOL!

10/07/2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

=) Yeah, that's what I meant. I learned the huge lasso like hand motion and would love to refine it to the smoother (and what appears to be faster) slide over style.

10/07/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's all I can think about whenever I see these ladies doing the whole "lasso" thing... I mean, why do the whole motion, when all you need to do is just slip it on... But it's however you learn it first I guess... LOL!

I still remember when my friend had taught me the continental way, but forgot to teach me how to cast off. So my M.I.L. offered to show me, but when she picked my work up and started 'lassoing', I freaked out! I thought it was going to ruin my piece, LMAO!!!

10/07/2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger starrypurplehaze said...

hallo! i just wanted to make sure that you received your SP9 info. could you email me back and let me know? thanks!

10/11/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Cecily,

Whoops! Email sent to confirm. =)

10/13/2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home