Thursday, March 29, 2007

But I Don't Want To Be Among The Mad People

I'm in a fiber art group called "Fiber Art Traders" on Yahoo and I just hosted my very first trade. What made this extra special was:
  • It's my first contribution to the group.
  • It's the first swap/trade I've hosted with the group.
  • It's my very first sewing project!

My theme was "Alice's Mad Tea Party" tea carrier/postcard swap. I just adore the Alice in Wonderland stories. Below is the tea carrier I made for the swap.

Tea carrier closed




Tea carrier opened

I actually lined up the inside flaps properly but if you look carefully, you'll see the little pockets on each side to hold the tea (and sugar packets if you want).

I'm so pleased with how it turned out, mistakes and all. So much so that I want to make another for myself. LOL!

Here's what I wrote for the swap introduction:

Welcome to Alice's Mad Tea Party trade!

Like everything in Wonderland, nothing is as it seems so take the Doorknob's advice when he said to Alice, "Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction."

Make 1-2 teabag carriers AND/OR postcards (yes, you have a choice) depicting what comes to mind when you think of a tea party in Wonderland. Poetry spouting dormice? Topsy-turvey unbirthday cakes? Queens who have a serious thing for red roses? Catless grins? For those who'd like to make a teabag carrier, there's a tutorial from Embroidery Library you might want to look at: Tea Carrier Instructions

Here's your chance to go a little crazy (because we're all crazy here) and create a bit of whimsy, Alice in Wonderland style.

Pics are due Tuesday, April 3rd

Partners will be assigned Wednesday, April 4th

Trade items should be mailed out Friday, April 6th

Sound like fun? Then what are you waiting for! Sign-up for my very first trade! =)

3 Comments:

Blogger me said...

Very cool and OMG WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FABRIC!?!?!? Must.have.some.

3/30/2007 1:47 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That is so cool..Will there be other swaps? I love that fabric...it is perfect...you are so clever

3/30/2007 9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. This was a fun project with instant gratification.

Yes, the group does regular swaps (3 or so going on at any one time) so run over there and join and have a blast!

The "fabric" was created in my computer from images I found online and then manipulated. Then I printed it on cotton sheets designed to run through my inkject printer. You can make your own which my mom does but I had trouble so I just bought the pre-made sheets. More expensive that way so I'll definitely practice making the sheets myself. I'll make a post all about it shortly.

3/30/2007 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home