Monday, March 12, 2007

Dragons In My Life

Scout put a call out for pictures of people's tattoos so.... here's mine!

Yes, I have a tattoo. It's on the back of my right shoulder and I would never have it removed because I it's so much a part of me (and not because it's on my skin). It's a little over 10 years old now.

I've loved dragons since I was a little girl. I loved the stories (always rooting for the dragon), the pictures and other artwork of dragons growing up. Part of my fairytale castle bedroom (bunk beds built into the wall to look like a castle) had toy dragons from the Dungeons and Dragons era hanging all over the place. I still have one from that time, the Dragonne , that sits on a shelf in my studio.

After a lot of discussion with my then boyfriend/now husband and a co-worker who also wanted to get tattoos, the decision was made to find a quality studio (Dragon Moon) and get something meaningful done if we were going to do it at all. The inspiration for mine came when I got a copy of the Dancing Dragon catalog and starting thumbing through it. A t-shirt caught my eye and I quickly became taken with it!

The inspiration (of which the original shirt hangs in my closet):


The text reads: "Drag'on: N. A timeless creature of wisdom, benevolence, and inspiration to the high qualities of life."
It would be an interesting discovery some years later to find out that Bryan's Chinese astrological sign is the dragon. =)

As for future tattoos, yes, I'm thinking of one or two more. I have an email out to Shelly Jackson of the human book "Skin", but it may be a long time before I hear if I can participate or not. So the search continues for the right image to adorn my body.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Great story behind the tatoo.

3/12/2007 10:46 PM  
Blogger Margot Potter said...

Hey Ms. T:

Louise has been awarded today...check it out. YAY!

I'm designing my tattoo now, finally I feel ready to have one. It's going to be a dragonfly with stars shooting out from its wings...and somehow I want to add the word Metamorphosis in there...maybe hidden in the wings...maybe in Gaelic.

Have a lovely day! That's a very cool tat you've got there Missy!

xox
Maggie

3/15/2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Peg said...

Hi there! Just came from Margot's blog where I read that magnificent letter you wrote about your wonderful mom!

And I love the tat and the behind-the-scene on it, too!

Best,
Peg

3/16/2007 7:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! My tattoo is very speciall to me so I'm delighted you like it. As for my mom, she's definitely 1 in a million. =)

3/30/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home