Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Whatcha Makin'? Huh? Huh?

I've been such the craft girl lately.
Two weeks ago I went over to a friend's house for a hand dipped candle making party. Mike and Whittney enjoy making them and haven't owned store bought candles in ages so they thought they'd get their friends in on the fun. Everyone arrived, the potluck dinner was devoured, and then it was time to get messy.
I am totally amazed at how easy and how fun it is to make your own candles! It's something I can easily see doing every once and awhile and having a similar themed event (once I get a house of course).
3 of the hand dipped candles I made:

You really don't need much except for room to make a mess. Ok, that and your pot to keep hot water in, a way to keep the water hot, a container filled with cold water tall enough to dip your candles in, a couple of dipping tubes to put the hot wax in (and something to hold them down should they want to float as the wax gets used up), wax blocks, wax dyes, wicks, and something to weight the wicks down (we used metal nuts).

It may seem like a lot but it's really not, nothing goes to waste for the most part and you get to be creative!

And guess what else I did?

Drum roll please...

After much determination, set backs, lack of time, etc...


MY VERY FIRST PAIR OF SOCKS ARE DONE!


and


Aren't they spiffy? =)

They're now washed and blocked and fit even better. Love my socks! Thanks everyone for all your help and thanks Scout for the inspiration in this lovely yarn (that I have a little leftover to use for something else too!)

I've already got supplies so I can cast on not one but TWO pair of socks next. *giggle* This is so much fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay for your first socks! Lovely candles too.

2/06/2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

Woot!! Congratulations on your first pair of socks! They look great! (And they match!! What a novel idea...) Love the candles. You are one crafty lady. I bet you'll figure out how to put beads in the candle next!!

2/06/2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

They are great!!!

2/07/2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Beverly Herman said...

The candles are beautiful. I love the colors. I really enjoy visiting your bogs. Now those socks to kewl!! I'm tagging you. 6 weird things, go look at my blog to read all about it.

2/07/2007 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow those are your first socks! They look wonderful!

When I was very little we used to make candles with my mom. We used pringle cans, back when they were metal and had a waxed insert. It was so much fun. I haven't done it in 25 years though, at least!

2/07/2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! I am now a sock knitting convert. I have already picked out one of the two pair I want to work on next. I have the yarn for the other pair; just need to pick out the pattern.

As for the candles-

Janice: Don't give me ideas! =)

Rebekah: You're right! Pringles cans would have been perfect! You should definitely think about making some more.

And Ms. No Easy Beads - Let me see what I can do for you!

2/07/2007 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brava m'lady! What yarn did you use?

4/01/2007 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home