Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Follow the Leader (aka Projects to Join)

OK, I thought I had will power but apparently I don't. I've joined two new creative projects and it's all Jennifer's fault (thanks hun). Actually I don't feel guilty at all as part of joining these projects feeds into my 2007 goals.

So now I'm going to post about them here so I can drag you into this obsession with me!

The first is Project Spectrum 2.0 run by Lolly of Lolly Knitting Around. This is an inspirational project that starts in February (so hurry and sign up) and each phase lasts for two months. Using whatever arts and crafts medium you want, make as many things as you want using one or all of the colors for that phase as the focus. No pressure, just have fun! The full details and sign up link can be found on her site. The February/March colors are: Blue, White, and/or Gray.

Why am I participating: Because I find the concept totally inspirational! It gives me something to ponder on rather than just pick a random project or none at all. And for items I want to make that month, it lets me re-imagine them in a whole new way.

The second is the Yarn Focus Challenge #2 run by Rebekah of Knit Knack. For 3 months you can go shopping for yarn only one day per month, your "free" day. The premise behind this challenge is to truly think about your yarn purchases rather than walk into a yarn store and buy like crazy. The challenge runs from January 15 through April 15, 2007. Sign-ups will be accepted until January 20 (you just need to email her). Read all the rules on Rebekah's blog so you can properly participate. For those who want a different commitment, there is Stashalong which doesn't let you shop at all but does allow you to choose how many months you want to go for (you can go month to month), or Stash and UFO Bust-Along (running from 1/15-4/15) which has no shopping at all for those 3 months.

Why am I participating: First, because I have plenty of yarn in my stash plus the gorgeous stuff I get each month from Scout. I really need to work with that rather than buying stuff that just sits in the bins collecting dust, being totally forgotten. Secondly, I'm banking on bad weather across these 3 month making the desire to trek to one of the LYS not pleasant. Third, I really need to plan out my yarn shopping trips better. Fourth, it ends before May which is the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Not shop for 2 days straight? Are you kidding!?! And lastly, IT'S AN EXCUSE TO BEG FOR PRESENTS! LOL!

I'm thinking about a few other projects (in various mediums) plus of course starting a few swaps, challenges, etc... myself. I am going to be a busy little beaver!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the YFC! and thanks for joining. I hope it's a lot of fun for everyone. Well as much fun as buying yarn on one day can be :-)

1/10/2007 4:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to the challenge. I suspect that my free days will be hours spent being very selective. Oh the horror! LOL!

1/11/2007 8:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hun, the beaver might chew down on your knitting needles! LoL! Wow! Sounds like you'll be pretty busy... Wanna have a swap? LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's to hoping you inclement weather wish comes true.... Besides, it's so much more fun to stay inside and play with all your toys! ;)

1/12/2007 6:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're terrible! Staying busy though is what keeps me going. =)

Looks like we might get snow next week but probably nothing to keep me home, drinking hot chocolate and crafting. We'll see!

1/12/2007 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for soppin by my blog today. I though U forgot about me or something. LOL! Hope you had a happy New Year=:)

1/12/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you kidding? I've been hoping I hadn't missed all the great progress on your lastest masterpiece (LOVE IT!). I promise to not be such a stranger from now on. Former Girl Scout's honor.

1/12/2007 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home